If you’re in the Maple Ridge area and looking for something to do this weekend, may we remind you that Wayne currently has paintings displayed at The Gallery at the ACT until December 20th, as part of their Ensemble 2014 show. Open Tuesdays to Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
If you’ve never visited an art gallery and the idea is a little intimidating or uncomfortable to you, there is no time like the present to jump in! And while there’s no right or wrong way to appreciate art, here are a few tips to help you get the most out of your gallery experience:
- If crowds aren’t your thing, weekdays are usually quieter than weekends at galleries.
- A group show (like Ensemble 2014) is a great way to discover new artists.
- If you are visiting a large gallery, get a map of the collection from the front desk so you can decide what your priorities are and map out a sensible route.
- Try to do at least two laps. You could start with one lap for first impressions, then read some of the written material provided to better understand the artists’ goals and do a second lap to see if your impressions have changed. This way you develop your own experience first, and then you can also better understand what the artist is saying through their work.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions of the gallery staff.
- Don’t be afraid to spend more time with the art that really interests you.
- Ask yourself questions about the colours, shapes, textures, and images that you see. Dig deeper and investigate what you are really seeing and what kind of reaction it is producing within you.
- At the end when you’re about to leave, try to visualize your favourites that you just saw, to help them stick in your mind later on.
Remember most of all to enjoy the experience. Happy Gallerying!